I suggest you ...

Restrict parent award input

Currently parents can enter awards info just like leaders. Add an approval step to awards entered by parents. Some of our parents are entering 20+ awards a month, or on the day before the den meeting and getting upset that they are not awarded. Putting parent entered awards in pending status still allows them to enter data, but allows for some control and know,edge of who is entering info.

58 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    BenBen shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • A.T. NormanA.T. Norman commented  · 

Oh, and if there is a problem with parents inputing awards the night before pack meeting and expecting the awards to be given, just put a deadline for all award input if this is a problem for your pack (48 hours, 72 hours prior). Make sure parents are aware of the criteria. Send out reminders the week before. Done.

• A.T. NormanA.T. Norman commented  · 

I think at the very least, the system needs to IDENTIFY the person who enters requirements as well as the date entered. If I am missing something, please advise. But I have looked and looked and don't find anything. Thus, when I go in as Cub Master to check the progress on any given boy, I don't know if the requirements that have been checked off were checked by a parent, a den leader, the committee chair, or the awards chairperson. And neither do any of them.

As for restricting parent award input, why not just make it an option that each pack can customize? Seems to me that different packs have different situations and should have this option if they choose.

• DJ HovermaleDJ Hovermale commented  · 

For Boy Scouts - absolutely there should be an approval process that runs through leaders, but for cubs? No way! If you have concerns with the amount of awards that are being entered by a parent, sit down and talk with that parent. This is NOT a software issue as far as I'm concerned. It's a parent training issue. If cubscoutracker.com did add an approval step, then you would still have to explain to the parent why you are not going to take their word for it. You can't get around having a conversation with the parent about this. I mean, the parent signature in the book doesn't have to have approval from the den leader. Yeah, you need to initial that you recorded it, but that is not approval. If the parents aren't honest, that's really their problem.

What I think might be a nice compromise is a notification that comes to the den leader that a parent has updated the scout's info and the scout has now completed certain awards. That way you can monitor how many awards are being added for each scout and address concerns directly with the parents.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I think it is great that the parents are taking interest in their sons progress. However, I feel that the Den Leader should review and approve ALL completed awards before the cub actually recieves them.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I agree some parents are just putting things in without doing the whole sections

• PhilPhil commented  · 

I agree as well

• rtylerrtyler commented  · 

I agree too. There has to be some way for the cubmaster or den leaders to validate the information before it goes on to the awards shopping list.

• Anonymous commented  · 

yes, I dont like that it goes right in with no approval or filter... the cubmaster or den leader should have to review and approve all achievements entered by parents...

• zieskejzieskej commented  · 

I agree.
        I originally thought allowing users to update scout records was a selectable option in the Pack setup but I cannot find any way to restrict this. A "pending approval" option would be globally helpfull. Being able to restrict users from entering info at all would be a handy feature at a Pack, Den, or individual user level.

Feedback and Knowledge Base